Tallahassee Turkey Trot
COVID-19 RACE PLAN
November 25, 2021
(as of October 28, 2021)
We are thankful that the number of people being infected and harmed by COVID-19 is dramatically lower than it was in August. It is still important, however, that participants recognize there is still risk and therefore we strongly urge participants to comply with the following protocols:
- All race participants must sign a waiver when registering for the race that includes COVID-19 provisions.
- Runners who have COVID-19, symptoms of COVID-19, or been in close contact with someone who has COVID-19 within the past 14 days, are not eligible to participate in this event; except anyone who has been fully vaccinated and is without symptoms, shall be able to participate. For more complete description see https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/quarantine-isolation.html
The CDC defines close contact as being within 6 feet of someone for a cumulative total of 15 minutes or more over a 24-hour period.
- Those runners precluded from running the event under #2 above are eligible for a refund of their race fees.
- Participants must always comply with CDC requirements.
- Volunteers and participants, unless fully vaccinated, should wear a mask when indoors for packet pick-up events. Participants should minimize their time indoors at the Turkey Trot Festival.
- Participants should maintain appropriate social distancing.
Runners are encouraged to start the race wearing a mask if they have not been vaccinated.
All events on race day will be held outside and unvaccinated volunteers will be asked to wear masks. Signs will be posted asking race participants not to congregate and asking specific risk assessment questions to help them determine if they should be participating.
Risk Assessment Questions Include:
- Experienced symptoms of a respiratory infection (such as cough, shortness of breath, fever, chills, muscle pain, sore throat, or new loss of taste or smell) that is not associated with a known cause?
- Tested positive for COVID-19, or had direct exposure to someone with COVID-19?
- Have you been in close contact with someone who has COVID-19 during the prior 14 days?
- Are currently waiting on COVID-19 test results?
Runners are strongly encouraged to wear a face mask while lined up for the start of the race and to properly socially distance from other individuals unless they have been fully vaccinated.
There will be portable toilets provided for the race and they will be properly spaced. A sanitation station and/or hand sanitizer will be made available.
A wave start may be considered once participation numbers are known. Please monitor updates via email, the Turkey Trot website (TallyTurkeyTrot.com), and Facebook.
Runners are encouraged to bring their own drink and food supplements for the race. The number of aid stations along the racecourse will be decreased to minimize the chance of spread. Traditionally the first water stop is located before the 2-mile mark. We do not anticipate having one there this year. Volunteers will wear gloves and if unvaccinated will wear masks as well.
Post-race food and refreshments will be limited to discourage participants from congregating. Runners will be instructed to utilize their phones to look up the race results online as they are made available. The timing area will be restricted to race personnel only. Runners that win an award will be allowed to individually retrieve their award from a designated awards table or the award will be mailed after the race. There will be no formal awards ceremony.